Monday, October 24, 2011

By the Gods of Zeus













Tonight was my first foray into the world of cooking roast chicken.  For the past 48 hours all I have been thinking about is roast chicken.  The crackly skin.  The taste of roasted, salted poultry with hints of olive oil, garlic, vegetables, and herbs.  Tonight I took a brave step into this world.

On my way home from my day job - I repair luxury Swiss watches at a gentlemen's shoppe down in the Financial District - I stopped at Gristedes, which has to be one of the worst supermarkets in New York and likely in the entire universe.  I bought 3 pieces of chicken breast still on the bone and with skin.  Granted, my goal is to cook a whole chicken, but I thought this would be a suitable initial venture.

I sensuously rubbed olive oil on the breasts, along with garlic paste and salt and pepper.  I actually was worried that I put too much salt on the chicken, but this turned out to be a completely unfounded worry.  Lesson learned: use LOTS of salt.  I cooked the chicken at 400 degrees for about 30 min, and then turned the oven up to 450 and cooked for another 15 minutes or so.

The result?  I didn't overcook the chicken, which is good, as I think one of the biggest challenges will be properly cooking the bird.  Still, despite this victory, the chicken was rather bland.  A very unflavorful, boring, bland roasted chicken.

As I later retired to my chamber to enjoy a cup of tea and a scone, I put Beethoven's 5th onto my record player and relaxed in my armchair, contemplating the mysteries of roast chicken.  A volume of Chaucer, which I must not have properly placed in my bookcase, fell off the shelf and hit me in the head, at which point I gave out a tremendous moan and then started to cry.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment